Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 2014 21:50:49 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   GELI created on a GPT labelled partition doesn't work 2nd time around...

Hi,

I just installed a FreeBSD 10.0-STABLE system where I:

 - Created a GPT partition on da0, with a label of, say 'abcdef'

 - Did a 'geli init / geli attach' on that GPT label, i.e.
      geli init -s 4096 -K abcdef.key -l 256 -P /dev/gpt/abcdef

 - Attached to that:
      geli attach -k abcdef.key -p /dev/gpt/abcdef

This correctly gives me '/dev/gpt/abcdef.eli' The *first* time I did this I
then did:

    gpart create -s gpt /dev/gpt/abcdef.eli

Which worked - and then went on to create a partition and use it for ZFS.

After a while I decided to re-do the disks (switching out '-l 256' to use
the default key size).

But now I'm stuck - I can:

  - Create a GPT partition with label on the underlying device, e.g. as
before, create a GPT partition on da0 with a label of 'abcdef'

  - 'geli init' and 'geli attach' to that label - and I get a corresponding
.eli device - e.g. '/dev/gpt/abcdef.eli' - but I can't do anything with
that device now:

  gpart create -s gpt /dev/gpt/abcdef.eli
  gpart: provider: Device not configured

I can't read, or write to it either:

  dd if=/dev/gpt/abcdef.eli | strings
  dd: /dev/gpt/abcdef.eli: Invalid argument
  0+0 records in
  0+0 records out
  0 bytes transferred in 0.000059 secs (0 bytes/sec)

No errors are output anywhere - and the geli 'attach' to the first label
succeeds (and I get a corresponding .eli device) - but it doesn't "work".

Any ideas?

I know this worked once (when the disks were 'new') - as I still have it in
my scroll back. I've tried all incantations of 'gpart destroy' and 'geli
clean' - but no matter what I do (including rebooting), I can't get this to
work again.

If I use geli on the raw da0 device - I end up with 'da0.eli' - and I *can*
access / GPT partition that, but it no longer works applying GELI to a
label (but, like I said - I was able to do this once!)

-Karl