Date:      Sat, 22 Nov 2014 19:17:49 -0500
From:      Henry Hu <henry.hu.sh@gmail.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org" <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Optimus support page

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 22 November 2014 at 13:04, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I've gathered some info from the #freebsd-xorg channel populace about
> > the Optimus support.
> >
> > Here:
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/OptimusVideoSupport
>
> It's a work in progress:
>
> * there's some patches to the port - hopefully it gets set to build
> the optimus support as a default option so the binary packages support
> it;
> * the process for enabling/disabling it is clunky;
> * having kernel awareness of this arrangement so it can be
> disabled/enabled without having to unload the driver and fumble with
> pci space config registers would be nice.
>
> I don't have any Optimus hardware at the moment (but donations are
> appreciated! :-) so I'd appreciate feedback from Optimus users.

Instead of using "ConnectedMonitor" to fake a connected monitor, would it
be better to use "UseDisplayDevice" "none"? That clearly represents that
no monitor is connected.

I just tried it and it looks like it works. The output of vglrun:
1984 frames in 5.0 seconds = 396.682 FPS
2285 frames in 5.0 seconds = 456.836 FPS
2300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 459.870 FPS

While a normal glxgears run is synchronized to vertical refresh.
But the Xorg and glxgears are using a whole lot of cpu time. Even after
glxgears exits, X still uses 100% of one core.

Actually, my laptop has a hdmi output which seems to be connected to the
NVidia card. I hope that I can use it in the same X server with other
screens (internal / vga output), and have some 3d acceleration.