Date:      Sun, 05 Jan 2014 09:33:28 +0800
From:      Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
To:        nano <nanotek@bsdbox.co>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 9.0-RELEASE and jails

nano wrote:
> My VPS runs 9.0-RELEASE, which is making jail setup difficult (for me).
>
> I could only ezjail-admin install 8.4-RELEASE because I could not find
> the 9.0-RELEASE base.txz anywhere. This made updating the basejail nigh
> impossible because it was trying to update host kernel version
> (9.0-RELEASE) when the jail world was 8.4-RELEASE. I thought I would
> give qjail a try, but so far am unable to even install a basejail with
> that utility.
>
> I've only ever administered jails with ezjail, so am in need of some
> help. What are my options to get a couple (up-to-date) jails setup on
> this host? Thanks.

Your host and jail have to be at same release level or you have problems
like you are having.
If you had read the qjail info you would have found that the current
version only supports 9.1 and newer as its now converted to use
jail.conf file.
There is big differences between 8.4, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2 and 10.0 as the jail
function is getting a lot of maintenance that is changing how it works.
You will get the best results if your using 9.2 for both your host and
jail.