Date:      Sun, 26 Oct 2014 05:29:29 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions !!!! <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: problems trying to mount SDHC card ....

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 18:39:14 -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:

> .... I am trying to mount some SDHC cards through a USB reader
> (Transcend USB 2.0) with an eye towards using them to create bootable
> drives for a Raspberry Pi B+.

In that case, you probably won't have anything to do
with mounting the SD card (especially not as a MS-DOS
file system). The thing you're going to do here probably
isn't much more than "dd if=pi.img of=/dev/da0", and
Xfce is not able to help here. When the image has been
written, there's probably a file system different from
FAT on the card.

> When I try to view the drive through
> XFCE's 'flash File Manager' (from top toolbar) it pops up an error
> dialog saying:
>
> mount_msdosfs: can't find or load "msdos_iconv" kernel module
> mount_msdosfs: msdos_iconv: operation not permitted.

Is the card currently formatted? What does

	# fdisk da0

say (if /dev/da0 is the SD card reader)? Or with today's
tools,

	# gpart show da0

Also check the dmesg entries in relation to the card reader.
Anything suspicious?

In case the card is formatted with FAT, can you _manually_
mount it?

> I am doing this as an ordinary user, something in fstab or amd.conf ?

I'm surprised you get any reaction at all. I never got
automounting to work with Xfce...

If you have the automounting stuff via HAL and DBUS,
your /etc/fstab won't probably have an entry for the
SD card reader, and /etc/amd.conf is probably totally
out of scope here. Maybe this is an expression of the
growing incompatibilities between Linux (where Xfce
has been created for) and FreeBSD?

I'm a bit surprised about the "msdos_iconv" kernel
module, which should be present. Can you manually
load it, maybe via /boot/loader.conf?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany