Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 2015 19:02:50 -0600
From:      Joe Maloney <jmaloney@pcbsd.org>
To:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
Cc:        Mario Lobo <lobo@bsd.com.br>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>, Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD smbfs horribly slow

I=E2=80=99ve noticed that with the freebsd version of mount_smbfs I am =
not able to mount an airport disk.  With FreeBSD I can use gvfs =
available in ports to get around that issue.

https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/tree/master/contrib/smbfs =
<https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/tree/master/contrib/smbfs>;

However with the Mac OS X version of mount_smbfs I can mount an airport =
disk.  I realize this structure, and ASPL clobbering is pretty gross to =
look at.  Apologies in advance.  I am curious if there is anything =
useful to see here.

http://opensource.apple.com/source/smb/smb-759.40.1/ =
<http://opensource.apple.com/source/smb/smb-759.40.1/>;

=46rom what I can tell it looks like the mount_smbfs tool originated in =
FreeBSD, and was ported to other BSD=E2=80=99s?  Or is FreeBSD using =
this which has been abandoned by Linux? =20

https://www.samba.org/samba/smbfs/ <https://www.samba.org/samba/smbfs/>;

Joe Maloney

> On Nov 14, 2015, at 4:10 PM, Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca> =
wrote:
>=20
> Mario Lobo wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 19:04:05 -0500
>> Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org> wrote:
>>=20
>>> Mario
>>>  Can you share more about your setup .
>>> What filesystem is the samba share exported from ?
>>=20
>> The shares tested were both from a FBSD (10.2-STABLE) samba4 and =
Linux
>> (Centos) samba 3.6.
>>=20
>>> What mount options
>>> on the filesystem level do you use ?
>>>=20
>>=20
>> smbfs 	rw,noatime,-N,-Iserverip 0   0
>>=20
>>> What version of samba , was it from ports or a package ?
>>>=20
>>=20
>> See above.
>>=20
>>> On the samba level can you tell us about your config ? Have you =
tried
>>> any of the tuning from https://calomel.org/samba_optimize.html
>>>=20
>>=20
>> Like I said, the problem is not with the server.
>>=20
>>> Did you change any sysctls ? What did you set ?
>>>=20
>>> Lastly what's the hardware like ; CPU, nic type , ram , etc
>>>=20
>>=20
>> I tried the same FBSD client on different hardware. Made no =
difference.
>>=20
> Did that different hardware have a different type of net interface =
that
> uses a different net device driver?
>=20
> I have no idea if smbfs can do the same thing, but both NFS and iSCSI
> can generate TCP TSO output segments of near 64K in data length and
> that can cause problems for some net device drivers.
> --> If the net interface has TSO enabled, try disabling it.
>=20
> I never use smbfs, so I can't help more, rick
>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>> ---