Date:      Sat, 12 Dec 2015 20:05:59 +0600
From:      Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@nsu.ru>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Looking for AMD APU based laptop with good FreeBSD support

Hi there,

As FreeBSD currently still lacks proper support for Haswell, I'm starting
to consider if getting an AMD APU based laptop, while its CPU being slower
than even i3, could be a viable alternative for the time being (provided
everything else, including but not limited to suspend/resume, works fine).

Requirements: 14", 4+ cores (or 2+ AMD modules), unsoldered RAM up to 16GB
(2+ slots), no secondary (auxiliary, discrete) gfx card (AMD's internal
graphics is good enough and I don't want another potential point of failure,
standard SATA, gigabit Ethernet, WiFi, Bluetooth.  Fully working suspend
and resume: I can tolerate having to reinitialize network/sound card or
Bluetooth stack, but not a reboot.

Would be nice: good/easy disassembly and repairability, IPS screen or being
able to replace default TN one, standard DisplayPort rather than proprietary
HDMI, optical drive (to replace with HDD/SSD caddy), backlit keyboard, no
webcam, no preinstalled Windoze.  FireWire- or COM-port, unsoldered CPU --
couldn't be better.

Candidates so far:

1. HP ProBook 645 G1: looking at the datasheet [1] it has almost everything
I need, plus you can probably ask for Atheros WiFi chip instead of Broadcom.
Socketed APU (FS1r2) means you can get a cheap A4 and replace with A10 at a
better price than HP currently offers.

2. HP EliteBook 745 G2 and G3: got metal case, newer APU, but lacks CD/DVD
drive, lighter than ProBook.  I don't see Atheros option in the datasheet [2]
anymore though, and it says "1 USB 3.0; 1 USB 3.0 charging" for G3 which is
probably a typo (I hope) and there're still 4 USB ports total.  But it's more
expensive than ProBook, so overall option #1 makes a better choice ATM.

Questions to the community:

Did anyone have chance to try FreeBSD and perhaps compare these two models?
Shall I avoid them for some reason (bad craftsmanship, inefficient cooling
system, battery leaking current, etc.)?  Are there other laptops on AMD APU
except those HP's worth considering?  Thanks,

./danfe

[1] http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2013/CommercialPPSFall2013/HPPr
obook645G1NotebookPC_datasheet.pdf
[2] http://www.hp.com/sbso/hpinfo/newsroom/HPElitePC2015/HPEliteBook745G3Noteboo