Date:      Sun, 24 May 2015 21:56:07 -0500
From:      Brandon Wandersee <brandon.wandersee@zoho.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel fails to boot after update

After updating my system to r283501 today, my system fails to boot from the new
GENERIC kernel, either in single- or multi-user mode. The old kernel still boots
fine, though, indicating that the base system itself is fine. The old kernel was
built from r281528, and the only things that have changed in the configuration
since then are the inclusion of nvme, nvd and hyperv, none of which I've ever
used. I tried trimming all of those from the latest GENERIC configuration, with
no luck.

I can't say at exactly which point in the boot process the failure lands, other
than that it happens prior to the filesystems being mounted (hence the lack of
logged information). It simply gets less than halfway through the boot sequence
and then abruptly reboots. Is there any way to prevent this reboot from
happeneing so I can see any applicable error messages, or any other advice on
debugging this? Thanks in advance.

- Brandon

        :: Brandon Wandersee ::
    :: brandon.wandersee@zoho.com ::
"A common mistake that people make when
trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity
of complete fools."
                            - Douglas Adams