Date:      Sun, 24 Jan 2016 15:51:24 -0500
From:      Kiriakos Georgiou <zebekias@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   zfs - reboot after panic

Hello,

I've been happily running a FreeBSD 10.1 fileserver (updated regularly via f=
reebsd-update) with ZFS zvols served out via iscsi.  Total RAM is 8G. For 2-=
3 months I regularly successfully run some heavy duty checksuming via unison=
 (it's kind of like rsync, but does bidirectional syncing).  I recently upda=
ted the OS to 10.1-RELEASE-p26, and soon after I started to consistently get=
 kernel panics when I run unison to sync certain files across my VMs:

reboot after panic: I/O to pool 'zdata' appears to be hung on vdev guid ....=

First I thought a bug must have been introduced, but after some googling I s=
et my vfs.zfs.arc_max to 4G (50% of my ram) and hammered zfs via a massive u=
nison sync.  I monitored memory via top.  ARC grew quickly to 4096M and stay=
ed there.  Free memory would slowly drop all the way to just under 1G but th=
en it'd suddenly jump to over 2G, then slowly go down to 1G and jump to 2G a=
gain so on.  I suspect it was a RAM starvation issue that is now resolved by=
 tuning the ARC max.  I've no idea why it started happening.  I just wanted t=
o share it with you.  Does the "fix" make sense?

Thanks,
Kiriakos=