Date:      Mon, 16 May 2016 12:55:02 +0000
From:      Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unresponsive jails issues

I have a server running 13 jails for various system services. Recently I
added two jails to run simple go applications for testing. They open a
network socket and nginx, which is in another jail, and which round
robin balances requests to them. I mention that because it may be
related, however not necessarily because it was happening earlier.

The problem is that every 2-3 days jails in my servers stop responding.
"jexec jailname tcsh" hangs forever, "service jail stop jailname" hangs
forever as well. "top" doesn't show anything suspicious. I can login
through SSH to the main server fine. I don't login to jails through SSH
so I can't check but it seems that when that happens they stop
responding because the services that are running in them stop too (e.g.
web server, imap, ...). I tried to "kill -9" the "jexec" process that
hangs but that doesn't work.

My first question is what evidence should I gather when that happens so
that I can investigate the issue later on after the server is restarted?

And the second question, any idea why that might be happening in the
first place?

I am running FreeBSD 10.3 AMD64 updated from 10.2 a couple of weeks ago.

Grzegorz