Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 2016 09:15:36 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Dag=2DErling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Subject:   Re: HPN and None options in OpenSSH

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 7:55 AM, Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav <des@des.no> wrot=
e:

> Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org> writes:
> > what is the internal window size in the new ssh?
>
> 64 kB.
>
> DES
> --
> Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no

Are you sure of this? I have not looked at the code, but my former
colleagues at the high performance research network ESnet claim at
http://fasterdata.es.net/data-transfer-tools/say-no-to-scp/  that the
internal buffers and effective window size have recently been increased
from 64KB to 1MB an allow for transfer rates of up to 140 Mbps over a link
with 53 ms. latency. With the HPN patches, they report 1.2 Gbps, making HPN
patches still significant over high latency paths.

That said, scp still performed poorly when compared to other technologies
(i.e. GridFTP) for bulk data transfer over high-latency high-bandwidth
links. (ESnet provides links of up to 400 Gbps between the US and Europe as
well as within the US, so this sort of thing is quite important to them.)
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com