Date:      Sun, 23 Oct 2016 14:29:51 +0100
From:      <g4@novadsp.com>
To:        <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   bhyve as x64 AMP platform?

Greetings.

I am exploring various possibilities for hard real time machine control
running on dedicated x64 processors.

The Linux Jailhouse (https://github.com/siemens/jailhouse) project is one
means of implementing an AMP solution for x64. Does bhyve offers similar
possibilities?

In this case the guest can be viewed as a single threaded for(;;) loop that
polls the USB3 controller, with the guest locked to a single core etc.
(Practically, effectively I think, a subset of the ELF loader code in the
fork here: https://github.com/g40/bhyveosvload)

The key question, I think, revolves around PCI passthru capabilities. Is it
possible to isolate and map specific hardware into the guest whilst running
under the hypervisor? In this case it would be highly advantageous _not_ to
virtualize the XHCI controller but I am not sure if this can be done within
bhyve?

I may be way off base here in which case I'll beg your collective
indulgence. Any comments on this much appreciated.

TIA

Jerry