Date:      Fri, 13 May 2016 00:00:02 +0200
From:      Mateusz Piotrowski <mpp302@gmail.com>
To:        soc-status@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Tutorial on how to add your FreeBSD email alias to Gmail

Hi there!

If you (just like me) have problems with
* Understanding that your new @FreeBSD.org email is just an alias;
* Adding your new alias to Gmail
then this tutorial is for you. I=E2=80=99ve spent a lot of time figuring =
this out so I decided to share it with you.

The tutorial can be viewed at my GitHub repository as well: =
https://github.com/0mp/n0tes/blob/master/freebsd.md#using-your-freebsd-ema=
il-alias-with-gmail =
<https://github.com/0mp/n0tes/blob/master/freebsd.md#using-your-freebsd-em=
ail-alias-with-gmail>

### Using your @FreeBSD email alias with Gmail.

1. Turn on the 2-step authentication at =
<https://myaccount.google.com/security/signinoptions/two-step-verification=
>.
2. Go to <https://security.google.com/settings/security/apppasswords>.
3. Log in using your Gmail account.
4. In **Select app** choose **Other (Customised name)** and in **Select =
device** choose **Other (Customised name)**.
5. Click **GENERATE**.
6. Name it as *FreeBSD* or something.
7. Copy your new app password to the clipboard.
8. Go to <https://gmail.com>; and open **Settings**.
9. Go to **Accounts and Import**, then in the **Send mail as:** section =
click **Add another email address that you own**. A window titled =
**Gmail - Add another email address that you own** should pop up.
10. Enter your name and your FreeBSD email alias like *0mp@FreeBSD.org*. =
Make sure that **Treat as an alias.** is checked. Proceed.
11. Now fill in the information as follows:
    * **SMPTP Server**: smtp.gmail.com
    * **Port**: 587
    * **Username**: youralias@gmail.com
    * **Password**: *The one time password you've generated a couple of =
steps earlier.*
    * Check **Secured connection using TLS (recommended)**
   =20
    Click **Add Account**.

12. You should receive an email with a confirmation that you want to =
allow Gmail to use your FreeBSD alias. The email should contain both a =
special code or a link to click. The easiest way is to just click the =
provided link so that your decision is approved.
13. Cheers! You should be able to send emails using your @FreeBSD =
address from Gmail.

That=E2=80=99s all.

Cheers!