Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2017 09:32:08 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6722@twc.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: svn error: node conflict in /usr/ports/x11/xcb-proto/files

> Thomas Mueller skrev:

> > On this computer, I can't get /usr/ports/x11/xcb-proto/files:
> > Skipped 'files' -- Node remains in conflict
> > At revision 439134.
> > Summary of conflicts:
> >   Skipped paths: 1

> Have you tried 'svn revert -R .' in /usr/ports? Or a fresh checkout?
> Have you tried svnlite from base?

Yes, that fixed it.  I really don't know much about the inner workings of subversion, or git for that matter.

I excluded svnlite and portsnap from buildworld, figuring it was redundant with the full svn.

> > On other computer, this directory downloads successfully with svn.

> > I even tried downloading with lynx and with w3m, but these text-mode
> > browsers compress (gzip) the downloaded file, and I can't see how to
> > avoid this.  I used to be able to download with lynx, and downloaded
> > file was the same as on the server; lynx would never compress it
> > gratuitously.

> > This is an old installation, needs to be updated when I can get to it after some other tasks.

> > svn --version shows
> > svn, version 1.8.8 (r1568071)
> >    compiled Mar 24 2014, 09:58:59 on amd64-portbld-freebsd11.0

> > uname -a shows

> > FreeBSD amelia2 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #1 r286653M: Wed
> Aug 12 15:25:51 UTC 2015
> > root@amelia2:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SANDY11NC-NDIS amd64

> You should really update world/kernel first and then update all your ports.
> At least some ports will probably fail on this old system.

> Herbert

I know or strongly believe I need to update world/kernel before updating ports; that applies to NetBSD as well as FreeBSD.

I remember reading on this emailing list (ports) that ports might not build if the underlying base system is not supported.

In any case, I would have to rebuild ports again after updating world/kernel.

I was stung on that matter at least once when I updated world/kernel, believe I ran "make delete-old-libs", rendered many ports nonoperational, and had a lot of rebuilding to do.

If I don't want to risk making the present installation nonoperational, I can make another (GPT) partition and install to that.  I have more than enough space on 3 TB hard drive.

Tom