Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2017 20:59:57 -0800
From:      Walter Parker <walterp@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   GPT partition gets erased on boot

Hi,

I'm setting up an old Sunfire X4140 system with 4 SAS drives plugged into
the SUN STK controller. Each drive is configured as a separate device.

I ran the FreeBSD 11.1 installer and picked guided ZFS install where I
selected RAID10 (2 2way mirrors) using aacd0, aacd1, aacd2, and aacd3. It
installed the system and rebooted.

When the new system came up, zpool status complained that aacd0p3 was
unavailable. Looking at /dev, I noticed that the only dev file was aacd0
(aacd0p* were all missing). Using gpart on aacd0 it said there was no geom.
I was able to run gpart create to recreate the drive geom and then gpart
add to readd all of the partitions. After recreating aacd0p3, I was even
able to run zpool replace -f zroot /dev/aacd0p3 and the pool resilvered and
stopped complaining.

On the next boot, aacd0 was missing all of its partitions.

What would cause the partitions on a ZFS drive to disappear?

Thank you,

Walter

--
The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of
zeal, well-meaning but without understanding.   -- Justice Louis D. Brandeis