Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2018 05:48:54 -0800
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Starting to try to get a new Dell Precision 5520 laptop running

--ONdxGLNAH97Mj7h0

My current laptop -- a Dell Precision M4800, documented at
<https://wiki.freebsd.org/Laptops/Dell_Precision_M4800?highlight=3D(\bCateg=
oryLaptop\b)>
-- will have been enduring my abuse for 3 years as of March, so I have
recently bought a shiny new Dell Precision 5520 (shipped running some
flavor of Linux, so Dell has evidence that there's a market for
non-MS-Windows laptops).

I've pulled the supplied drive and swapped in one I had last updated 08
July 2017; I did a verbose boot into single-user mode and copied output
of several commands to a USB drive, and have placed copies of those
files up on my Web server, at
<http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/5520/>.

One of the "sticking points" so far is that the wireless device is:
none6@pci0:2:0:0:	class=3D0x028000 card=3D0x00508086 chip=3D0x24fd8086
rev=3D0x78 hdr=3D0x00
    vendor     =3D 'Intel Corporation'
    device     =3D 'Wireless 8265 / 8275'
    class      =3D network

(and I'm not sure about the "wired Ethernet" -- rather than a jack in
the body of the laptop, Dell supplies a "Thunderbolt" dongle).

Anyway: I'm hoping to get the new machine functional enough that I can
migrate to it in time to still be able to send the m4800 off for final
warranty repair -- I think I loosened a heat sink or two when I slipped
on some "black ice" about a year ago whlie cycling to work.

Peace,
david
--=20
"unfortunately, no trust!=E2=80=9D -- well, of course!  You reap what you s=
ow.

--ONdxGLNAH97Mj7h0

--ONdxGLNAH97Mj7h0--