Date:      Sun, 13 May 2018 03:02:03 +0300
From:      "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>
To:        Andreas Scherrer <ascherrer@gmail.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Site-to-site IPSec VPN using if_ipsec and racoon

--9qSeq07FszvTv7OdCj7mlhNBzLtuVXFCf
From: "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>
To: Andreas Scherrer <ascherrer@gmail.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org

--NlR6NQ6ZtYCqrgXh0aLvtjxZ1uzHrkhyN

On 13.05.2018 02:37, Andreas Scherrer wrote:
> My interpretation of [2]'s statement:
>=20
> "If no security association is found, the packet is put on hold and the=

> IKE daemon is asked to negotiate an appropriate one."
>=20
> is that it should somehow be automagic. But in my current configuration=
,
> that does not happen. I never see FreeBSD initiate any IKE traffic
> (500/udp) and 'setkey -D' always reports "No SAD entries.".

Hi,

You need to run racoon in debug mode and then, I think, you will see how
ACQUIRE happens, and why it doesn't work.

> Can anybody point me in the right direction (be it more documentation o=
> a working config example)? That would be awesome.

Recently there was the discussion about it, and a config that worked for
one tunnel was published:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2018-April/050271.html

You can read the entire topic to get additional info.

> Best regards
> andreas
>=20
> Ps.: I have tried the "old" approach which I know better using 'gif'
> interfaces. With that I have managed to get racoon negotiate SAs for th=
> same tunnel (i.e. with libreswan on the RPi). Unfortunately I cannot
> wrap my head around the routing with that approach (no 'gif' on
> Raspbian). And the documentation also mentions this as a limitation of
> 'gif' [3]: "you cannot usually use gif to talk with IPsec devices that
> use IPsec tunnel mode"

You can use gif+IPsec in transport mode from one side, and IPsec device
with tunnel mode from other side. Technically this is the same. But I
don't know how hard configure this using IKE.

--=20
WBR, Andrey V. Elsukov