Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2018 17:07:48 -0700
From:      Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To:        Jos Chrispijn <bsdports@cloudzeeland.nl>, FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ports vs packages

On 8/25/18 4:29 AM, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
> How many times is there between the release of a port and its package
> - is that depending on the port maintainer?

one thing i do for my systems is if there is an update to a port i
need/want to test before the official build cluster is done is run a
"make package" in the port directory.  then i can install the updated
code as a pkg for future upgrade convenience.  this works great for
ports without many external dependencies at build-time, not so much when
things like llvm need to be build ;)

-pete

--
Pete Wright