Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2018 22:46:54 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        =?UTF-8?B?RsSBbmctcnXDrCBTw7JuZw==?= <emacsray@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-toolchain@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Heads-up: linker (lld) changes for amd64 coming soon

On 26 April 2018 at 23:07, F=C4=81ng-ru=C3=AC S=C3=B2ng <emacsray@gmail.com=
> wrote:
>
> I'd like to experiment with LLD --warn-backrefs, which keeps compatibilit=
> with GNU linkers (bfd, gold) in terms of handling of LazyArchive and
> LazyObject (see
> http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2018-April/122383.html for
> details).

Ah, thanks for the note. It was not documented in lld's man page; I
just added it upstream.

> I think a few representative FreeBSD packages may be a great playground t=
> try --warn-backrefs
>
> Do you have some pointers on how I can build these packages locally with
> --warn-backrefs ?

Just adding LDFLAGS=3D-Wl,--warn-backrefs to /etc/make.conf should be
sufficient. I'm not sure of the proper way to replace the linker (with
a build from upstream that supports --warn-backrefs) or provide a
custom make.conf in Poudriere though, and hope that someone else can
provide some guidance on that.