Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2018 16:05:54 +0000
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
Subject:   bhyve on reboot loses tap(4) configuration

Hi,

I tried to use bhyve with the tap(4)/vtnet(4) solution as documented in
the handbook (tap needs autoopen).
However, I am using no bridge(4) interface but a “point-to-point”
configuration.

Example:
guest configures vtnet0 to 192.0.2.2/24
host configures tap0 to 192.0.2.1/24

When rebooting the guest inside the bhyve, it seems bhyve loses the
outside tap0 configuration.  I assume that is because the tap0 interface
is closed and re-opened on the “warm restart”.

Apart from using devd and possibly tracking tap interfaces to come up
and track things there, is there are better solution for not having to
reconfigure the host interface on every guest reboot?

/bz