Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 2019 12:53:24 -0500
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@freebsd.org>, Luigi Rizzo <luigi@FreeBSD.org>, "Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae@FreeBSD.org>, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>, "Conrad E. Meyer" <cem@freebsd.org>
Subject:   gsched: modernize or remove?

Hi,

As I can see, gsched code was not really maintained for the last 10
years since being added.  It misses many GEOM features added later, such
as direct dispatch, unmapped I/O, stripesize/stripeoffset, resize, etc.
 Even if some of them may require just a proper declaration, it tells me
that barely anybody used it seriously for years.  But my primary concern
is the `gsched insert` implementation.  Right now I got to it since it
is the last consumer of nstart/nend counters in GEOM, which I would like
to remove for performance reasons.  But I also see tons of potential
problems with idea of moving providers between unaware geoms.

So my question is: does it make sense to try fix/modernize it, or it
just be easier to remove it?  Does anybody still use it, or see some
future for it?

--
Alexander Motin