Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2019 14:07:41 +0000
From:      Kaya Saman <kayasaman@optiplex-networks.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Options for FBSD support with LCD device - new project

Hi,

I am looking for a solution capable of running FreeBSD that I will be
able to add an LCD or OLED display to.

The project spec is fairly simple:

- Use an embedded SoC solution

- Fit inside a DIN enclosure eg.
https://eng.italtronic.com/products/embedded_box_en/

- Have an LCD or OLED display with or without keypad eg.
https://www.crystalfontz.com/product/cfa633rdiks-rs232-alphanumeric-lcd-display-16x2#undefined

Currently I am thinking about an Odroid C1+ with a Crystalfontz display
as they are well supported by Lcdproc.

Already I have gone through:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/Odroid-C1

https://www.freebsd.org/platforms/arm.html

https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm

but just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this type of
setup or could offer some advice?

I guess connection to the LCD would be another question as the most
common two options would be GPIO or USB. In the case of GPIO is there a
way to simulate an serial connection or are there better supported
boards with serial or usb headers on them already?

There are LCD modules made specifically for these boards which do sit on
top of the GPIO however, do these work with Lcdproc?
http://www.lcdproc.org/hardware.php3

Thanks.

Kaya