Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2019 17:55:33 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        ticso@cicely.de, Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Options for FBSD support with LCD device - new project [[Maybe related: I2c issues on the Pi2]]
References:  <8df902f6-20a3-31c4-71ac-91f5d5fdf50d@optiplex-networks.com> <0ecf23e129ca7ac6a92a01bbb34c03f1ac8c6dc8.camel@freebsd.org> <e5d42c67-e1f2-ede1-965f-c89226de46da@optiplex-networks.com> <89f5b8d1ab0614ac8d88b5d5f1afc63e640c3c17.camel@freebsd.org> <4EB5C6C1-7DB9-4DEE-BB23-CD1259581271@jeditekunum.com> <004ddba628b94b80845d8e509ddcb648d21fd6c9.camel@freebsd.org> <C68D7E6E-03C1-448F-8638-8BD1717DBF44@jeditekunum.com> <ac7d434f16f3a89f5ef247678d6becdbeded5c3f.camel@freebsd.org> <CE40E2B5-2244-4EF9-B67F-34A54D71E2E8@jeditekunum.com> <f60ea6d2-b696-d896-7bcb-ac628f41f7b8@denninger.net> <20190319161423.GH57400@cicely7.cicely.de>

On Tue, 2019-03-19 at 17:14 +0100, Bernd Walter wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 09:55:12AM -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:

> > > If memory serves correctly, there are only 2 I2C devices on the
> > > H3/H5 and the NanoPi NEO/2 implementations only externalize 1.
> > > There is only 1 SPI AFAIK.
> > >
> > > I wouldn???t call that crippled. I chose this platform exactly
> > > because of its characteristics - small, fast, cheap. It fits the
> > > project I???m using it for perfectly. In fact, I can see uses for
> > > even smaller (see Giant Board <https://groboards.com/giant-board/
> > > and would drive one towards different solutions - and require
> > > more of the various interfaces. But they aren???t going to be
> > > typical of hobbyist projects.
> > >
> > > Maybe I should pose the question in another way. What is the
> > > philosophy for choosing GPIO as default for all the pins? These
> > > boards have a very limited number of pins and my preference would
> > > be that the broadest range of interface types would be the
> > > default. There are 2 UARTs exposed so I would have picked 1 to be
> > > enabled by default. After that, with I2C and SPI enabled, there
> > > are still 6 GPIO available. For a tiny board like this that seems
> > > to be reasonable. If people have a need for slightly more GPIO
> > > then I would expect they would be the ones configuring overlays.
> > >
> > > Apparently the developers of the Linux packages for these boards
> > > have chosen the diverse approach (???FriendlyCore??? based on
> > > UbuntuCore Xenial).
> > >
> > > IMHO, most ???hobbyists??? would prefer the diversity approach.
> > > I???m completely capable of becoming an expert in FBSD and this
> > > sort of configuration stuff yet it isn???t a priority for me - I
> > > just want to use it like any other hobbyist. The way things are
> > > now pushes this type of user away from FBSD.
> > >
> > > If there is some philosophical perspective against the diversity
> > > approach then the next best thing is to have documentation that
> > > clearly and simply tells people how to enable the other
> > > functionality.
> > >
> > > Finally, I think there is an opportunity to grow FBSD in the
> > > hobbyist world of these small products. We are past the point
> > > where people can have a real operating system running on systems
> > > at Arduino size and cost. Linux has been aggressively deployed
> > > there but I can say from experience that it ain???t pretty - I
> > > won???t say more as everyone reading this has a clear
> > > understanding of why that is.
> >
> > I'm currently working an issue similar to this, but one that rates
> > "highly annoying" right now rather than "catastrophically bad."
> >
> > The environment is a RPI2 which has GPIO and I2c configured; GPIO
> > drive outputs, I2c is used to read analog channels.
> >
> > On 11.0 this code ran perfectly well.
> >
> > On 12-STABLE )FreeBSD 12.0-STABLE r344818 GENERIC)
> >  it also runs well *BUT* generates a huge number of console
> > messages
> > about spurious interrupts:
> >
> > intc0: Spurious interrupt detected
> > local_intc0: Spurious interrupt detected
> > intc0: Spurious interrupt detected
> [...]

Hmmm, I can't reproduce this.  I've got an rpi-b rev2 and I tried 13-
current and the official 12.0-RELEASE image and I have no problems with
interrupts while using an i2c RTC.  I also connected an at24c512 eeprom
and did a bunch of reading and writing to it.  No spurious interrupts,
and vmstat -i showed a completely reasonable number:

intc0,61: iichb0                                       5652         23

I don't know what to try next.

-- Ian