Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 2019 22:36:54 -0500
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
Subject:   State of NVMe/NVMe hot-swap

Hi folks,

I=E2=80=99ve been looking at mailing list archives, talking to my server =
vendor, looking at the official forums and I=E2=80=99m not finding lots =
of folks talking about NVMe drives. My forum query on hot-swap got a =
total of one response (and not from a NVMe user).

I=E2=80=99m looking at new servers and we really tend to use them until =
they drop, and it seems not too crazy to think that SATA and SAS SSDs =
will start growing scarce in 5-8 years (or at least get more expensive =
than NVMe when it=E2=80=99s mainstream). It seems like laptops and even =
many desktops are now using NVMe drives in the m.2 format.  IOW, it=E2=80=99=
s the future.

So can anyone comment on using NVMe in production, specifically the =
=E2=80=9Cu.2=E2=80=9D format that gives you a nice 2.5=E2=80=9D drive =
with hot swap capability? And more specifically, can you comment on how =
well (if at all) hot swap works?  Really open to any feedback before I =
commit to buying a few servers based on NVMe drives.

Thanks,

Charles=