Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 2020 09:51:42 +0000
From:      Javi Hotmail <volkovdablo@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about xserve G5

Hello all,

I'm new in this mailing list, although I've been going back and forth
with PPC (G4/G5) and FreeBSD since 9.0.

I have a question that perhaps some of you already stumbled across, but
I wanted to know if there is a way to get it to work before I jump in
the code.

I have a xserve G5 dual 2.3Ghz, and I installed FreeBSD 12.1. Works
quite well, but I cannot get cpufreq + powerd/powerdxx to work at all.

I get this:

# powerdxx
powerd++: (ENOFREQ) cannot access dev.cpu.0.freq, at least the first CPU
core must support frequency updates

This is the relevant part of sysctl:
# sysctl dev.cpu
dev.cpu.1.%parent: cpulist0
dev.cpu.1.%pnpinfo: name=PowerPC,G5
dev.cpu.1.%location:
dev.cpu.1.%driver: cpu
dev.cpu.1.%desc: Open Firmware CPU
dev.cpu.0.%parent: cpulist0
dev.cpu.0.%pnpinfo: name=PowerPC,G5
dev.cpu.0.%location:
dev.cpu.0.%driver: cpu
dev.cpu.0.%desc: Open Firmware CPU
dev.cpu.%parent:

The issue is that after few minutes the fans ramp up to insane levels,
and my goal with this is to use powerd or powerdxx to manage the situation.

Thanks in advance,

Javi.