Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 23:04:19 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        are@communique.no, bde@zeta.org.au
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/3375: Ten minute delay at boot-time

>Calibrating clock(s) ... i586 clock: 133662709 Hz, i8254 clock: 1202460 Hz
>CLK_USE_I8254_CALIBRATION not specified - using default frequency
>CLK_USE_I586_CALIBRATION not specified - using old calibration method
>
>It seemed to speed along just fine, and I did not notice any 10 second
>delay (as is now the new timeout).

There's still something not quite right - 1202460 Hz is too far from the
nominal value of 1193182 - almost 1% different.  If it is (relatively)
correct then there would be a noticeable drift in one or both of your
clocks.  Another non-default option, CLK_CALIBRATION_LOOP, can be used
to repeat the calibration.  It doesn't repeat the initialization, so I
would expect it to work or not work consistently.

>Then, as I'd forgotten to use -c (to enable the psm0 - why is it that it
>is disabled by default?), I did another reboot, this time with -cv.

It may interfere with other devices.

>Now I got (and why is it that this first part - before vis. config -
>doesn't get added to /var/log/messages?):

It should be added.  I think the visual userconfig output overwrote it.

>Calibrating clock(s) ... failed, using default i8254 clock of 1193182Hz
>CLK_USE_I8254_CALIBRATION not specified - using default frequency
>
>This time it waited for about ten secs. before continuing (entering
>config).
>
>Does this mean the RTC isn't quite stable?

It probably wants longer delays.  Duplicate all the inb(0x84)'s in the
patch.

>Should I add any of the noted CALIBRATION options?

Only CLK_CALIBRATION_LOOP.  The others risk using wrong values.

>And one last thing:
>Sometimes when shuting down, /var/log/messages is appended with a lot of
>junk like this ESC[mESC[8;1HESC[mESC[9;1HESC[mESC[m. What's up?

I think this is normal output from visual userconfig.

Bruce