Date:      27 Aug 2002 13:54:25 -0600
From:      John-David Childs <nospamposter@nterprise.net>
To:        "RDWestSr@hotpop" <rdwestsr@hotpop.com>
Cc:        friar_josh@webwarrior.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall Help plz

Pick up the book:

http://www.wiley.com/legacy/compbooks/catalog/35366-3.htm

I just leafed through it while at the bookstore a few minutes ago...not
bad at all!  The *BSD section is for OpenBSD, but will apply fairly well
to FreeBSD.

(And no, I didn't get paid by the authors...nor do I even know them ;-)

PS: I agree that even a small business should be able to fork over $50
for a Saturday afternoon setup...

> > >      a friend of mine asked me to help him get his small business
> online.
> > > i'm looking for some ideas on this.  my questions...
> > >
> > > 10 computers
> > > - 1 server
> > > -9 clients
> > >
> > > ok,  all customer info, orders, etc is kept on the server...   he has 9
> > > employees that log into the server from their client pc to update and
> change
> > > information etc...

What kind of server?  What kind of clients?

> > > what is the best secure way to build the firewall or wall(s) for the
> > > network....

This depends on the questions above, and what needs to be protected.
The included "simple firewall" in /etc/rc.firewall is almost good enough
to run out of the box...throw in a few commands to open up desired ports
and you're done.