Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 22:24:37 +0800 (CST)
From:      Jeffrey Tang <freebsd@hoolan.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How to force one user to change his password?

Yes, I setup his 'change' field to some date to enforce my password
change policy. When he logons, he gets a prompt to re-new password,
but he can still press enter to skip this procedure and get the shell.

Password:
Sorry -- your password has expired.

hanging local password for val.
Old password:
New password:                         <----- press enter
Password unchanged.
passwd: /etc/master.passwd: unchanged
Welcome, my friend from hoolan.org !
$

So, is there any method to force users to change their stale passwords
before granted permission to log in? 4.5-RELEASE is running here. Please
CC me if possible, thank you.

--Jeffrey Tang