Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 96 10:56:15 EST
From:      jeff@stat.uconn.edu (Jeffrey M. Metcalf)
To:        rnordier@iafrica.com
Cc:        bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installation of FreeBSD from DOS partition

Hello,

I have not yet tried your suggestion, but I do have some information which
could help shed some light on the DOS partition installation problem.

An important fact is that I am able to install a WORKING version of the
the minimal distribution of FreeBSD on my machine from floppy.  It's
an annoying 14 disk installation, but it works.  I mount my DOS partition
at /dos.  When I go to read my files from DOS, I have the problem that
the files appear in a directory, but they are somehow corrupt.  Trying
to read them using vi, it seems that a good portion of my system becomes
corrupt.  Trying to access vi again causes my system to complain about
some bad magic number in a file called ld.so.  I don't recall the path.
A lot of my system becomes corrupt.  More won't work complaining of the same
error.  When I stay entirely in BSD, I am fine.  I can boot the machine
(the boot manager gives me the option between Windows 95 and BSD and it
works properly), I can log in as root.  I can create users.  They can
create files in their directories.  It all basically works.  Maybe this
will shed some light on the situation.  Well, I am late for class.  I'll
write more later.

Thanks,

J. Metcalf