Date:      Fri, 25 Dec 1998 14:47:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Vladik <reason@shadow.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix Desktop

Joey Garcia writes:
 > Vladik wrote:
 >
 > > gummibear@we.mediaone.net writes:
 > >  > At 04:23 PM 12/24/98 -0800, rick hamell wrote:
 > >  > >
 > >  > >> Lately, I have basically evaluating the X Windows system, and I just can't
 > >  > >> figure out why it hasn't been made any easier for average users.  I can't
 > >  > >> figure out why antialiased fonts (such as true type fonts) haven't been
 > >  > >> made the standard.  I can't figure out why there hasn't been a solution to
 > >  > >> the problem of not having a standardized Interface (or a few standardized
 > >  > >> interfaces to choose from when developing applications or whatever - choice
 > >  > >> isn't a bad thing).  I can't figure out why the standard X libraries and
 > >  > >> widget set hasn't been given the 90's look and feel (ala qt libraries).
 > >  > >
 > >  > >    There is a possiblity of another Windowing system. BUT, something
 > >  > >you're over looking is that there are several more Window Managers then
 > >  > >you've tried. FVMN, Enlightenment, Afterstep. One of them may do what you
 > >  > >want. Supposedly Enlightenment is pretty configurable.
 > >  > >
 > >  > >                            Rick
 > >  > >

 > > The things that are still difficult with linux (at least for me)
 > > are setting up Internet dial-up, Xemacs (to read the news groups and
 > > mails)/Fonts for various programs.
 > >   Basically I am trying to find programs/packages that allow
 > > me to configure that stuff without knowing anything about the config
 > > files, all GUI driven wizard, that set the whole system up.
 > > I think a good packagin system together with programs like "dofile
 > > generators" will do the job eventually.
 >
 > Yeah, setting up dial-up ppp stuff isn't the most easiest thing to do, but there are
 > scripts out there that help you do this.  I have been playing around with perl for
 > quite sometime and I think that maybe I have enough knowledge in C programming to
 > come up with a binary (just because I like binaries) to set up the ppp stuff.  Pppd
 > frontends are pretty kewl too.   When I used to use Linux I used kppp which was
 > great.  The setup wasn't so easy to figure out, but once you figure it out it's
 > basically point and click.  With FreeBSD I just setup the ppp stuff manually using
 > the Handbook.  It wasn't that hard, but I guess that all varies between users
 > systems and stuff like that.
 >
 > I'm not a pro with XEmacs so I can't help you there.  I'm stil trying to figure out
 > what it all does, but I like the color coding. :)
 >
 > I've seen a "Dot File Generator" somewhere on the internet where modules could be
 > added in order to setup different dot files.  Although, I forgot where it's at.
 > Anyone know?  Although, it seems like most window managers and stuff come with their
 > own configuration software now a days.
 >
 > > Happy holidays,
 > > Vladislav

Dot file generators currently exist
for many different things, as an example
these are the ones I have installed on my Linux (debian)
machine:

ararat# dpkg -l | grep dot
ii  dotfile         2.2-1          dotfile generator
ii  dotfile-bash    1.02-3         Bash module for dotfile generator
ii  dotfile-doc     2.0-1          dotfile programmer documentation.
ii  dotfile-elm     1.0b1-5        elm module for dotfile generator
ii  dotfile-emacs   1.2-3          emacs module for dotfile generator
ii  dotfile-fvwm1   1.3-2          fvwm module for dotfile generator
ii  dotfile-fvwm2   1.0b6-5        fvwm2 module for dotfile generator
ii  dotfile-ipfwadm 0.23b3-4       ipfwadm module for dotfile generator
ii  dotfile-procmai 1.0b1-3        procmail module for dotfile generator
ii  dotfile-rtin    0.02-5         rtin module for dotfile generator
ii  dotfile-tcsh    1.3-3          tcsh module for dotfile generator
ararat#

See
http://www.imada.ou.dk/~blackie/dotfile/

But again, I think, it is a combination of things that make the
configuration of a UNIX machine easy:
packaging system,
menu update system (the one that updates menus with programs
for all currently installed win managers),
dot-file generators for easy customization
wizard-like programs to setup ISP dial-up, security,
OS tuning (kernel configs, module configs, etc),
and of course, as it was mentioned, common GUI interface for a lot
of office-type programs and common  utilities
 (for example:  There is always a different way
to select fonts for Lyx (word processor), ghostview, <your> X e-mail
reader, etc)

Also, as you could notice, I cannot still configure my Xemacs to
spell check my e-mail before sending  (it is one check box in
Netscape in an easy to see place) :-)

Vladislav