Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 2014 07:46:52 +0100
From:      Gomes do Vale Victor <ulysse31@gmail.com>
To:        "kpneal@pobox.com" <kpneal@pobox.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: zpool import taking weeks ...
References:  <CAFSDvD2hLNN_CupeVKu02bLLUS1EFuTdZZw5Z9xoiNFZ0p4_fg@mail.gmail.com> <CAOjFWZ5dgw0nZzWFhWOCS-HSseBC=uavc=aQM%2Byht-R5a4Xfow@mail.gmail.com> <CAB7-odmXb%2B0KvEh6vDPstt89-O=ccL81MAtX2hRLWk%2BRcVZzUA@mail.gmail.com> <CAOjFWZ6r2LYWAw_eB4f9AEoy_w313rRy44t9uBdNMK2MJTmQwg@mail.gmail.com> <CAFSDvD25ceAZT_WBj9yFfh13KrVeqVtcNHWB85B3rNzk1b_Ang@mail.gmail.com> <20140115223403.GA69817@neutralgood.org>

Hi

Le 15 janv. 2014 =C3=A0 23:34, kpneal@pobox.com a =C3=A9crit :

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 09:29:27AM +0100, Ulysse 31 wrote:
>> Thanks for the answer.
>>=20
>> I was beginning to ... well ... have a little start of panic ^^'
>> The import still running but no real activity on disks : sometimes,
>> maybe something like each hour, there is some really brief led
>> activity on the hdd, but nothing more.
>> one thing that would be great is to have an overall percentage or just
>> counting of what is done or what is left ... for now i don't even know
>> if it's gonna end on the next 5 mins or on the next 5 weeks :s
>> So now since i have no real activity on the actual zpool import (the
>> last import started a week ago, it do not have go out of swap since i
>> added lot of swap (260G HDD swap)), should i just let it run, or make
>> a reboot and start over ?
>=20
> Memory used by the ZFS DDT is (someone correct me if I'm wrong) kernel
> memory that I don't think is swappable. So adding more swap space won't
> help. (Again, correct me if I'm out of date or just wrong please.)
>=20

Yes, it's kernel memory but appears as "wired" not as "used", and it does no=
t change the fact that zpool import goes out of swap without the swap disk (=
tested and approved). With the disk memory is all (64Gb) marked as wired (ke=
rnel usage) plus 780Mo used in swap.=20

> Worse, keeping track of swap space takes kernel memory for the bookkeeping=
.

Again, I have tested zpool import WITHOUT the disk, and it as gone "out of s=
wap" (out of memory) since I added the disk it as taken all mem plus swap. P=
lease read my first and my post .

> That memory for swap bookkeeping is memory that can't be used by ZFS. So
> the large swap device you added is only making the situation worse. This
> also implies that you'll get best results by not having any swap space
> at all during the problematic import. You can re-add it once the import
> is completed.
>=20

I really don't know if ZFS can swap or not, what I know is that system and l=
ivecd goes out of memory on import.
One possible solution is simply ZFS takes all RAM leaving swap to user land .=
.. But result is the same : machine crashes without it.