Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2000 22:49:21 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Killed natd -> system crash

Hello,
I killed natd on one of my boxes and it ended up with a system
which didn't respond to any IP connection attempts I did. Neither sshd
nor any other daemon was responding, same goes for ICMP connection
attempts.

System Configuration
ipfw was configured using the open profile and natd itself was running
with the following options (started from rc.conf)
natd -redirect_address 10.2.2.3 10.2.2.3 -i rl0
the box (running 4.1 Stable as of Friday, IIRC) has got three three IPs:
10.2.2.3 255.255.255.248 (rl0_alias1)
10.2.5.6 255.255.255.128 (rl0)
10.2.5.7 255.255.255.128 (rl0_alias0)

At that time, the following daemons where running:
- Apache 1.3.12 ModSSL 2.6.5 with approx 200 virtual host (I was doing
  some testing)
- ProFTPd 1.2pre10
- named
- qmail incl. popserver under the newest ported tcpserver supervised
  by the daemontools
- sshd (I had two ssh connections to the box, none of them was of any
  use after the kill)

The machine happily compiles world three or four times looped so it's
surely not a hardware problem. At the moment of the crash it was
approx 3,5 hours up (had rebooted it before to test if my rc.conf
changes for natd would work). Prior to the 'crash', natd was working like a charm.

I tend to believe that the 'crash' is related to the -redirect_address
option as my normal gateway has never cared for a killed natd. Sure
it stopped acting as gateway but his was the only thing. No crashes no
other troubles, if I restarted natd on it, it did it's service as it
should.

Best regards,
 Gabriel