Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 11:10:38 +0100
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@csl.com>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape backups

Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> John <papalia@UDel.Edu> wrote:
>
> > My boss hit me with this question, and I'm not sure of the answer.  We are
> > looking at buying 5 new servers, all of which will be configured (my
> > byself.... *gulp*) to run FBSD.  In an effort to save $$$, he wants to omit
> > tape drives from each server, and instead get one server with a
> > tape-changer in it.
>
> Very reasonable. Make sure the tape changer works with FreeBSD. I
> have no experience in this area, but I'd be wary of solutions
> requiring proprietary drivers etc.
>
> > I'm assuming that this will be possible to do using dumps over
> > NFS, however I was hoping for some confirmation from someone with
> > more experience in this?
>
> You can't do dumps over NFS. Instead, you run the dump locally and sent
> its output over the net. In fact, dump itself supports writing to
> user@host:device. Otherwise you can dump to standard output, pipe into
> rsh, and continue from there. The same for restore, just in reverse.
>
> Also, if you backup a small group of hosts on a central server, you
> might want to look into Amanda (ports/misc/amanda24), which very nicely
> helps to automate this kind of thing--including support for tape
> changers.
Seconded. Amanda is pretty good for this sort of thing. I used to use
amanda with a HP 12000E i.e. 6xDDS2 DAT autochanger, but it was too
unreliable. Instead I've invested in a HP DLT 70 - this holds up to 70GB
per tape, more if you were to use amanda's facility of gzipping
dumpsets.

I get a write to tape throughput of approx 2700KB/s.

Adam.