Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 2000 00:38:50 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI: Object creation test

Hi Ernst,

> FYI: I've tested the fresh JDK 1.2.2 for FreeBSD using some object
> creation test program I wrote a while ago. I compared the results with the
> JDK 1.1.8 (FreeBSD) and the Blackdown JDK 1.2.2 rc4 (Linux). All tested on
> a Pentium II-400, 128 MB memory. The maximum and initial heap sizes were
> set to 64M, and 1M objects were created.
>
> The results:
>
>  --- Number of object creates per second --
>  FreeBSD 1.1.8        222061
>  Blackdown 1.2.2rc4   163253 (without JIT)
>  Blackdown 1.2.2rc4   434552 (with sunwjit)
>  FreeBSD 1.2.2 (pre)  160112
>  Sun 1.2.2 Linux      170861 ** FAILED **

Interesting.  So we are roughly the same as the Blackdown JDK.  I wonder
what difference compiling with some agressive optimisation makes.  I'm also
curious how the open source JITs perform in comparison to sunwjit with the
Blackdown JDK.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083