Date:      Fri, 09 May 2008 08:36:00 -0400
From:      Robert Fitzpatrick <lists@webtent.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   slapd won't start with nss_ldap.conf

On a FreeBSD 6.1 with openldap-server-2.3.39, I have setup nss_ldap and
pam_ldap, but cannot get slapd to start as long as I have nss_ldap.conf
present, it just hangs and nothing in the messages or debug logs. I just
copied ldap.conf to nss_ldap.conf, see contents below. As soon as I rm
the nss_ldap.conf file, slapd starts without delay, but of course, our
logins, etc. do not work until I re-create the file or symlink to
ldap.conf afterward...

host 127.0.0.1
base dc=example,dc=com
binddn cn=manager,dc=example,dc=com
bindpw secret
nss_base_passwd ou=People,dc=example,dc=com?one
nss_base_shadow ou=People,dc=example,dc=com?one
nss_base_group          ou=group,dc=example,dc=com?one

I have verified all the above to work with simple binds and all is fine
after slapd is started and nss_ldap.conf is in place. I have openldap
working with postfix and cyrus-imapd a long time on this box and now
using with samba for file shares, but have this issue with nss_ldap.conf
and trying to smooth out my boot process. Can someone suggest a solution
or point me to some info for help?

I am also have a hard time getting slapd to start early on boot. I am
using the port install built WITH_RCORDER=yes, but it still starts near
the end of the boot. Is there something more that I need to do and
somewhere to check that WITH_RCORDER=yes in make.conf was applied during
build? Any suggestion from someone experienced would be appreciated.

--
Robert