Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 13:07:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      tom@tomqnx.com (Tom Torrance at home)
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        tom@tomqnx.com, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.1-STABLE: nrsa0 T4000 doesn't honor "no rewind"? SCSI errs in  logs

> > How about the following?
> >
> > 1) Receive the error.
> > 2) Verify that it is not a harmless device quirk.
> > 3) Map the error back to the application for action.
> > 4) Until the application or the operator does something positive to
> >    re-establish positioning, greet further attempts to write with a
> >    media write-protected error.
> > 5) It might be possible to allow the tape operator a mechanism to
> >    turn off the condition (the 'ignore' option) in some harmless
> >    way. Perhaps an 'mt status'?
>
> Steps 1-4 was exactly what I was proposing. The positive steps can be by
> the operator via mt(1) or via a backup program. Step 5 I hadn't
> considered. Would a config option for the kernel be okay for this (e.g.,
> SA_PASSIVE_DRIVER)?

I would think this highly desireable.

> > There might be some actions that would/should be allowable, like
> > writing tape marks - you would be much better qualified to judge those.
>
> Hmm.  I'd think not.

I mentioned this because a half-written tape is worse than useless
(fit only for the scratch bin).  It might have some value if there
were a mechanism to close it off in some way.

Definitely EOM should not trigger this routine. TM, trailer labels and TMs
have to be written, possibly following a short erase over the
reflective spot area.

Cheers,
Tom