Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2000 22:42:04 +0200
From:      Michael O Shea <micheal@com4u.ch>
To:        "Troy Settle" <troy@picus.com>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Centralised user information

>** We avoid sys users like the plague here. For hosting and such we
>** store the user in PostGres. Onec that is done Radiator can access
>** them and ProFTP can access them and CHROOT them into their home dirs.
>** YOu could also get Apache to auth against the PostGres database and
>** mailservers is not a prob either.
>
>What are you doing about mail?
>
>At one time, I had Postfix and Cyrus 1.5.something working against a MySQL
>database, but the creation of Cyrus mailboxes was not automatic (severe
>PITA).  I haven't seen any other reasonable POP3/IMAP combo that can auth
>through a database at all, so I'm kinda stuck.
>
>-Troy

Well you can run Postfix against Postgres I think. We have just
bought Joydesk for a free mailservice that we are rolling out, which
will auth against any SQL db. Its primary dev platform is on FreeBSD
and its pretty well tested. See http://www.joydesk.com. MY present
mailserver is CommuniGate pro http://www.stalker.com/CGatePro.html
which is one of the best servers I have ever seen and now can auth
against LDAP. This is very beautifull in that you can define Domain
Level Admins and just set the limits on a per domain basis and let
the domain owner add/delete accounts and all that stuff and not care
about what and how many accounts each domain has. It has saved us
many man hours in setup of email here.
--

Micheal O Shea                         Email:micheal@com4u.ch
com4u.ch                                        http://www.com4u.ch