Date:      Fri, 8 Jan 1999 23:24:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@ics.com>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: horrible hack / SRM console

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:

> Matthew Jacob wrote:
> >
> > This is a perennial problem. At some point *BSD is going to have to
> > consider how to work under ARC or AlphaBIOS. Probably we'll have to do
> > something akin to MILO.
>
> I looked at the ARC/MILO setup and someone will correct me if I'm wrong,
> but it seems the ARC console only groks NTFS. Setting up MILO basically
> consists of substituting the path to the MILO loader instead of the
> NTLDR.DLL (or whatever its name is).
>
> Meaning you need a way to get an small NTFS partition onto disks. I'm
> guessing it's a toss-up between which is harder -- installing the SRM
> firmware or jumping through hoops to put an NTFS partition with MILO on
> the disk.

To boot from ARC, all we would need is a small FAT filesystem to hold the
boot code.  We can load bsd kernels from a 'real' filesystem after that.
Stefan Esser is actually going to work on this (at least as far as the
'need to figure out the palcode problem' stage).

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com