Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 1996 22:50:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freefall.freebsd.org>, jkh@time.cdrom.com, marcs@znep.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org

On Sun, 22 Dec 1996, David Greenman wrote:

> >	we switch from the one-big file format to monthly files
> >		named freebsd-questions-199611, for example
> >	each month a new file is started for each list
>
>    This isn't any improvement, IMO. The files would still be way-too-large
> for people to deal with and it doesn't make it any easier to index the
> contents. One message per file is the only scheme that addresses these
> problems.

For indexing purposes, the only benefit to breaking things up
into chunks is fore convenient addition of new material without
re-indexing everything from scratch (as is curretly done).  The
size of the chunks depends entirely on the desired update
frequency.  A month is too long.  Weekly or daily would be
better.  Individual messages would be absurd.

-john