Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 12:41:57 -1000
From:      "Sato & Associates, Inc" <satomaui@maui.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Network Printing

Dear FreeBSD:

I have FreeBSD ver 2.2.6 running dhcpd for my HP JetDirect devices.
I created the 'netprint' script as described in chapter 7 of the Handbook.
However,I can't seem to pass the necessary control characters to
my LaserJet.  Also, I get a message from lpq that it's waiting for
my printer to come up.  How can I fix these problems?

Here's the filter I use for the printer:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/libexec/lpr/lpf "$@" | /usr/local/libexec/netprint LaserJet 9100

How do I get escape codes (EcE and Ec&k2G) to my printer?
I get the "staircase" output on my networked printers.  I was able to get
rid
of it using simple printf "\033&2kG" on older printers connected to my lpt
ports.

Please excuse my ignorance on redirection and pipes, I'm fairly
new to scripting in various shells.

Thanks for your time.

Michael P. Shimko