Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 18:37:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "H. Jared Agnew" <jagnew@csugrad.cs.vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compile errors???

On Thu, 19 Sep 1996, H. Jared Agnew wrote:

>   I'm currently running snapshot 050196,  I would like to upgrade to 2.1.5-RELEASE.  I
> have down-loaded all the source, and first tried to make a new kernel.

No, you're doing it backwards.  If you pulled ALL the source, then you
should do 'make world' first, THEN compile the kernel.

If you pulled just the kernel source, make sure you run config WITHOUT the
-n parameter.

> The errors I get are the errors having to do with line 82 of the param.c
> file.  I realize that I may be getting these errors because the
> distribution I have on my machine is pre 2.1.5- RELEASE, however I'm
> also unable to do a make world.  If nobody can answer this question I
> will post the error I get when I do a make world. ( I would do it now,
> but I don't have them ;)  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

If you have a make world problem, then we need to resolve that first.  You
need to build a new config before you can build a new kernel.

You can also use the 'Upgrade' procedure in the install floppy -- just
back up /etc first!