Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 14:04:22 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: my worldstone

>So, in the spirit of getting specific, I'd like to suggest the
>following set of prototype ground rules to anyone daring to post their
>"worldstone rating" here:
>
>Before beginning a make world test, the following conditions must be
>met:
>
>1. /usr/obj must be empty (no "clean" pass to add minutes to time).
>
>2. /usr/obj *must* be mounted async (too few mount it sync and it does
>   bestow a large advantage).

It should be mounted -noatime too, unless you want to throw away "free"
optimizations.

>3. /usr/src must reside on a physically different disk (unless ccd
>   is in use, in which case this should be noted).  I know that's hard
>   for some folks, but if you're running off a single drive then your
>   numbers just won't be competetive.

/usr/src should probably be mounted -noatime too.

My numbers are competitive (1:37 on a K6/233 FIC-2007 64MB with 1
Quantum ST IDE drive in DMA mode, and /usr/src/Makefile tweaked to
build al tools static, and DESTDIR on the same file system as /usr/obj
(async,noatime,not-the-root-fs)).  makewhorldstone should not be
disk intensive on systems with enough RAM.  If I had more time, then
I would repeat the benchmark with the drive in PIO mode to prove how
unimportant DMA mode and fast disk seek times are for non-disk-intensive
non-seek-intensive benchmarks like this.  The more useful "makeahllstone"
is disk intensive, since it usually spends most of its time traversing
trees to find nothing to do.

>4. -pipe must be added to CFLAGS in /etc/make.conf.  *no other build
>   optimizations or omissions can be done!*  Same goes for additions -
>   no kerberos bits enabled.
>
>5. Source tree must be -current to within 7 days of the other people
>   comparing numbers.  No point in compiling old bits just before
>   perl5 entered the tree, or whatever, since that obviously skews the
>   numbers.

Building an agreed-on old version would be better (check one out from
cvs).  This would defeat my Makefile optimizations :-).

8(?) $TMPDIR should probably be on an mfs.  I haven't tried this yet.

K6/233:
     5273.18 real      3496.20 user       993.51 sys
      8620  maximum resident set size
       605  average shared memory size
       608  average unshared data size
       130  average unshared stack size