Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2000 22:27:43 -0600 (CST)
From:      Daniel Ortmann <ortmann@sparc.isl.net>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        ortmann@sparc.isl.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: consistent "make -k buildworld" crash with 2 swap partitions

> :The /etc/fstab which enables the crash is the following.  To fix it
> :comment out the second swap.  Note they are on separate drives.
> :...
> :I should also mention that I am running softupdates.
> :
> :
> :If both swap partitions are enabled then "make -k buildworld" crashes
> :the system with ABSOLUTE CONSISTENCY.

>     If the system is crashing there should be a panic message.  What
>     panic are you getting when it crashes?

No panic messages.  Just sudden flashing lights, a red drive activity
light, and a reboot with lost files (most of the time ... sometimes it
just hangs).

>     You may want to add the DDB kernel config option to your kernel
>     config, recompile, and reinstall, which should knock the system
>     into the DDB debugger when it crashes and enable you to see what
>     the panic message was and do a 'trace'.

Ok, I'll try that this weekend.

> :Since this behavior has been around for about a year (???) I assume my
> :system configuration must be unusual ... or surely this would have been
> :discovered and fixed earlier.

> :Several months ago a bug was found with dual swap partitions.  It
> :involved some cross-partition alignment problem.  When that bug was
> :fixed most of my crashes disappeared.  Except for this problem.
> :But "make -k buildworld" continued to crash the system.

Thanks.

--
Daniel Ortmann       IBM Circuit Technology
2414 30 av NW, #D    E315, bldg 040-2

"The answers are so simple and we all know where to look,
but it's easier just to avoid the question." -- Kansas