Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 03:08:46 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        committers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 release schedule.

> 2.2.5 was released early last November and that means that our
> quarterly release schedule points at the end of February as the target
> release date.
[.....]

This begs the question; how to people feel about the latest ppp
sources going into -stable.  It's undergone a *lot* of work, the main
changes being the security model (now more flexible), deflate
compression, M$ Chap (without hurting the release crunch stuff), lots
of overflow bugs fixed, lots of routing table limits removed, random
IP allocation and external chat(8) capabilities.

Also, pppctl has command line editing, works with large routing
tables and detects link termination properly.

Most of these changes are `new features', so I don't know how people
feel about bringing them into -stable.

On the `bug' side, the main problem with ppp in RELENG_2_2 is that it
doesn't implement the phase diagram from the rfc correctly.  This
results in a failure to hangup when talking to some peers.  If ppp
isn't wanted in -stable, I'll have to see if I can bring the phase
fixes into RELENG_2_2 (this'll be a pain).

Cheers.
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;