Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 02:13:26 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CPU heatsinks

>I was messing around with my new motherboard, getting it into the new
>case, and one of the two heatsinks popped off.  Understand it's a dual
>Pentium Pro system, with heat sinks definitely larger than the old
>Pentiums.  I noticed on taking a very, very careful closer look, that the
>heatsinks had been installed sans the usual white silicone heatsink
>compound, which I have on hand (having used on previous systems).  Is
>there some reason on the PPro that the silicone hadn't been applied, or
>should I neatly smear some on?

I haven't seen a vendor yet who *does* put the silicone grease on for
you.  My Pentium and Pentium Pro certainly didn't come that way.  I
added it myself, after the fact.

I really wouldn't want to run it without the grease, however.
Especially if a fan were to die.  I actually had my Pentium 100,
overclocked to 120, run for a couple days straight with a dead fan
that I didn't know about.  Got a couple crashes and didn't know why.
Opened the case, and the fan is just quivering back and forth.  After
a new fan, the machine has been running perfectly at 120MHz for
several more months.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net