Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 04:19:49 -0700
From:      "Samuel Lin" <joka83@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PPPoE issues: not connecting to remote peer on Earthlink ADSL connection

I am running a FreeBSD 3.4-Release #3 test system on which I am attempting
to configure PPPoE, to no successful avail.  I have followed the procedures
from the handbook (http://www2.freebsd.org/handbook/pppoe.html), from
simpatico (http://www.sympaticousers.org/faq/freebsd_howto.htm), and from
node.to (http://www2.freebsd.org/handbook/pppoe.html), each in its own
distinct and relative measure; nevertheless, none have worked.  If anything,
the latter two return a "/kernel: no such service"  (??) error on a dial
attempt
while the first at least loads up the PPP process and attempts to dial
(without any readily apparent error, barring the detail of PPPoE not
actually connecting!).

From what I can understand, PPPoE seems to wait for a carrier detect, and
upon not detecting one, it disconnects.  I have attempted setting widely
varying values for "cd" from "off" to "5" to the noted "60" ~ none work.  I
have even gone so far as to "borrow" a ppp.conf from a friend (on PacBell
ADSL), replace the requisite information (authname & authkey), and still not
succeed in connecting.  The hardware (NIC & ADSL modem) is in perfect shape
~ both work from this NT server without any errors.  I am not sure if it is
worth noting that dialup PPP works just fine ~ however, the particular
FreeBSD workstation is (or, rather, should be) connected to an Earthlink
ADSL account via a Fujitsu ADSL modem ~ I am not sure if the problem is one
dealing especially with Earthlink or the specific modem (as such, any
feedback from any Earthlink xDSL/FreeBSD users would be quite useful).  I
would very much appreciate *any* help at all, as this is becoming
mind-numbingly frustrating.  I have appended some technical information
below in the hopes that it will elucidate the situation better than any
rambling summary I can give.
Of the primary directions from handbook, I have compiled "options NETGRAPH"
into the kernel; either "options NETGRAPH_PPPOE" or "options NETGRAPH_SOCKET
" return the aforementioned error of "/kernel: no such service" on a dial
attempt ~ as such, I have given up on the latter two and compiled only the
first.

The /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file is configured as follows:
default:
 set log Connect Physical async cbcp hdlc id0 ipcp lcp lqm sync tcp/ip timer
Debug Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 set speed 115200
 set timeout 120
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
 add default HISADDR
 enable dns

adsl:
 set device PPPoE:xl0
 set authname username #authname & authkey values modified for privacy
 set authkey password
 set speed sync
 set cd 60   # a last ditch effort; neither set cd 5 nor set cd off produced
satisfactory results

An excerpt from /var/log/ppp.log of parts which I thought to be relevant
(though that doesnt mean much, even in my opinion); due to the fact that I
was (and am) getting quite frustrated, ppp was to log virtually all aspects
of itself, but for the sake of email, I have attempted to trim it down (ever
so slightly):
ppp[263]: tun0: Phase: bundle: Establish
ppp[263]: tun0: Phase: deflink: closed -> opening
ppp[263]: tun0: Debug: List of netgraph node ``xl0:'' (id 1) hooks:
ppp[263]: tun0: Debug: Creating PPPoE netgraph node [1]:orphans -> ethernet
ppp[263]: tun0: Debug: Connecting netgraph socket .:tun0 -> xl0:orphans:tun0
ppp[263]: tun0: Debug: Sending PPPOE_CONNECT to .:tun0
ppp[263]: tun0: Warning: deflink: Reducing MRU to 1492
ppp[263]: tun0: Timer: timer_Start: Inserting physical throughput
timer[0x80b1048]
ppp[263]: tun0: Phase: deflink: Connected!
ppp[263]: tun0: Phase: deflink: opening -> dial
ppp[263]: tun0: Chat: deflink: Dial attempt 1 of 1
ppp[263]: tun0: Phase: deflink: dial -> carrier
<<THE FOLLOWING SECTION REPEATS TO THE VALUE OF "SET CD [value]">>
ppp[263]: tun0: Debug: Waiting for carrier
ppp[263]: tun0: Timer: prompt /dev/tty: fdset(r) 0
ppp[263]: tun0: Timer: Select returns -1
ppp[263]: tun0: Timer: ---- Begin of Timer Service List---
ppp[263]: tun0: Timer: physical throughput
timer[0x80b1048]: freq = 1.00s, next = 0.00s, state = running
ppp[263]: tun0: Timer: ---- End of Timer Service List ---
ppp[263]: tun0: Timer: timer_Start: Inserting physical throughput
timer[0x80b1048]
<<THE PRECEDING SECTION REPEATS TO THE VALUE OF "SET CD [value]">>
ppp[263]: tun0: Phase: deflink: Disconnected!
ppp[263]: tun0: Phase: deflink: carrier -> hangup
ppp[263]: tun0: Debug: deflink: Close
ppp[263]: tun0: Phase: deflink: Connect time: 11 secs: 0 octets in, 0 octets
out
ppp[263]: tun0: Phase:  total 0 bytes/sec, peak 0 bytes/sec on Mon 2000
ppp[263]: tun0: Phase: deflink: hangup -> closed