Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 13:40:49 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Richard H <rhzdnet@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: trouble setting up DNS in 3.3 (had DNS working in 2.2)

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 02:25:37AM -0800, Richard H wrote:

> My 3.3 system is the server that connects by modem to my ISP with a
> dynamic IP and uses PPP to interface to it.  My routing works, since
> all of my systems can ftp, browse, etc. the internet.  I can ping any
> system on my net or those outside of my net but I suspect this is
> because of the hosts files.

> -----resolv.conf
> nameserver	mercury.planets.net
> domain		planets.net

Try replacing mercury.planets.net with the IP address of mercury.  You
should have a line of:

	nameserver 192.168.1.1

When your machine reads resolv.conf it wants to find the address of a
nameserver.  If it finds a name, it has to contact a nameserver to
resolve the name.  But to resolve the name, it has to read resolv.conf
and this is getting us into a loop, isn't it?

Ciao,

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr>
See the headers of this message for my public key fingeprint.