Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:30:05 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new files in kernel build

M. Warner Losh wrote:

>In message: <20040727160206.GA1784@stud.fit.vutbr.cz>
>            Divacky Roman <xdivac02@stud.fit.vutbr.cz> writes:
>: Hi,
>:
>: If I want to add some files into kernel sources, what am I supposed to do to
>: them compile? I added some into sys/net80211/ but they dont compile...
>:
>: I tried sys/conf/files but it does help, just prints a message about having it
>: defined before...
>
>Exact error messages would be helpful.
>
>Generally, you put them in sys/conf/files, re-run config and life is
>good.

if you want to add these files without editing /sys/conf/files you can
add them to /sys/conf//files.{YOURCONFIG}
e.g. we backported the firewire to an older kernel and have a
proprietary driver as well..

our files.VICOR looks like:

%cat files.VICOR
xdcpdrvr.o                      optional        xdcp                    \
        dependency      "$S/dev/xdcp/xdcpdrvr.o.uu"                     \
        compile-with    "uudecode < $S/dev/xdcp/xdcpdrvr.o.uu"          \
        no-implicit-rule
dev/firewire/firewire.c optional firewire
dev/firewire/fwcrom.c   optional firewire
dev/firewire/fwdev.c    optional firewire
dev/firewire/fwmem.c    optional firewire
dev/firewire/fwohci.c   optional firewire
dev/firewire/fwohci_pci.c       optional firewire pci
dev/firewire/if_fwe.c   optional fwe
dev/firewire/sbp.c      optional sbp

without looking at the source to config, it seems to use teh entry on
the 'ident' line to
look for these files..