Date:      Sun, 24 Oct 1999 20:38:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        bertke@bellsouth.net (Bert Kellerman)
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GRE/IP 47/PPTP

Bert Kellerman writes:
> > True in general.. however, if all you're using GRE for is PPTP, then
> > you can multiplex on the call identifier in the PPTP/GRE header.
> >
> > -Archie
> >

> Are you referring to the optional 32 bit key field in the GRE
> header?  Won't the packet on the way back in  have a different key
> field, as this is used for authenticating the sender, and change?
> The natd implementation would then need a way to calculate the
> expected return key field to differentiate between connections.
> However, since there is a 32 bit sequence number in the GRE header
> like TCP, I wonder if it would be possible for the router to recreate
> the internal sequence numbers and assign each internal client a
> limited pool out of the 32 bit outside sequence block.  Could this
> be possible? I mean how many times has a single TCP session used
> all 4 million sequence numbers?  RFC 1701 states that this sequence
> number field is also optional so this might not work for all vendors.

No, read the PPTP RFC and look for the call ID. PPTP has it's
own custom version of the GRE header.

  http://www.es.net/pub/rfcs/rfc2637.txt

You spoof the Call ID just like normal natd spoof's TCP/UDP port
numbers. You would also have to swizzle the data inside the control
stream, to spoof the Call ID there as well.

-Archie