Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 2010 22:47:09 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Frank_Wi=DFmann?= <frank.wissmann41@web.de>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with printing

Hi!

Warren Block schrieb:
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, Frank Wi?mann wrote:
>
>> Warren Block schrieb:

>>> That whole printer definition is one long line; backslashes are line
>>> continuation characters.
>>>
>>> Because of that, you can't just comment out individual sections.
>>> Remove the whole ps2pcl filter line.
>>>
>>> That may not be the whole problem, but it's a start.
>>
>> Removing the line and restarting lpd/retrying printing didn't do
>> anything. No mails, no error messages, no printing.
>
> There's a missing "l" at the start of that entry, maybe just a cut and
> paste error.

That's it.

> See what chkprintcap(9) says.  Also 'lpc status lp'.

"chkprintcap -d -f /etc/printcap" exits with no error message.
"lpc status lp" gives that:

lp:
         queuing is enabled
         printing is enabled
         no entries in spool area
         printer idle

>> By cd'ing into /var/spool/lpd to look after queued jobs I noticed that
>> the whole file structure under that directory belongs to "root:frank"
>> whereas the /var/spool/lpd/-directory is owned by "root:daemon". Does
>> that matter?
>
> Don't know, but I set group and owner to daemon:daemon.  Incidentally,

Which directories do you include in "daemon:daemon"?

> using the first name of the printer (lp) for the spooldir would make
> more sense to me.

I did change that but it seems not to have any effect. I also took my
user in the groups "daemon" and "operator" but that didn't help, too.

> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

Greetings Frank

--
GU d- s:+ a+ C+>$ UBS>$ P L- !E--- W N+@ !o K--? !w--- O !M- !V- PS+ PE
Y? !PGP- t+ 5 X !R tv- b++ DI !D G e h+ r- y?

When pack meets pack in the jungle
and no one will move from the trail
wait till the leaders have spoken
it may be fair words shall prevail