Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2001 10:25:25 +0100 (BST)
From:      Dr Andrew C Aitchison <A.C.Aitchison@dpmms.cam.ac.uk>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        joeo@cracktown.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, xpert@xfree86.org
Subject:   Re: [Xpert]Re: which pci 3d accelerator card to choose for XFree86-4

On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> Thanks for that useful information.
>
> But what applications use dri under X-Windows ...
> X-Windows itself, gnome, ??? I'm usually not the typical
> Quake gamer under FreeBSD ;-))

DRI is the way that most[1] XFree86 drivers implement OpenGL and hence 3D
acceleration[2]. Applications shouldn' care whether 3D acceleration
uses DRI or something else; they should just link with libGL.so [3].

[1] nVidia's closed XFree86 drivers use their own kernel drivers
instead of DRI. I don't know what other closed drivers do.
[2] XFree86 also supports PEX5, the Phigs-based 3D protocol, but I'm not
aware of any hardware acceleration, so 3D on XFree86 essentially means
OpenGL.
[3] I don't play games, so don't know whether this is the reality,
but at least on Linux
 http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/ABI/
suggests that it is the correct way to use OpenGL.

> Unix is not a gaming platform for me. There I would prefer driver
> stability and that opaque Window movements are quick without lagging.

You shouldn't need 3D acceleration for opaque Window movements.

If you want a decent, stable driver under FreeBSD, and only need 3D
under windows, I don't think that you will have much problem with
any supported cards. The most likely problem is code rot. As AGP
domination completes, PCI support will begin to break and bugs will
take longer to spot and to fix.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison		Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@dpmms.cam.ac.uk	http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna